Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Negative, in the positive sense.

So, after almost two weeks of anxiety--much of it somewhat beyond my conscious awareness--I got a call today from the urologist's nurse, who had the results of my biopsy. "Everything is negative," she said. No qualifications. No, "howevers," No, "and there's just one more thing."

I'm glad she just spat it out, because any preamble or post script would've only increased my worry because I would have imagined that her next statement would be, "So, we'd like you to come in for a consultation." Nothing good could come from a face-to-face meeting under this circumstance. 

But there is no need for a consultation because all of the poking and prodding--and this was the gold standard of prostate biopsies--has turned up nothing to be alarmed about. As far as I know, there is no more tissue to be jabbed and sampled.

Needless to say I am hugely relieved, and I'm very conscious of that, even though I successfully suppressed the actual anxiety of which I am now relieved. Or, rather, turned it into gloomy and catastrophic pessimism. All of it for nothing. Surely there's a lesson in there of some kind, and eventually I will figure it out. 

For now, all I can say is hooray! 

No comments:

Post a Comment