Thursday, July 4, 2013

Dying is easy. Comedy is hard

This from a letter I sent to my brilliant son, Drew, as he started doing standup comedy in New York:

"As a kid, people always told me I was funny. In fact, I competed with my across-the-street neighbor, Bruce, to see who was funniest. We each had an audience of one. One time when I was about 9, my sister was sick and I did a little spontaneous comedy routine to make her laugh and feel better. I wanted to make people laugh for as long as I can remember. 
When I moved to LA, it took me nine years to break into TV. I made a lot of people laugh along the way, and I'd sold columns and the like, but I'd never really been a paid comedy writer until then.
So, finally, I was on staff at a sitcom. It was a big deal, and it was a blast.
Besides writing,  the primary activity of a sitcom writing staffs is eating. 
One day, we all went to a deli. Everyone was standing around the counter waiting to order, and we were all making jokes. Finally, our number comes up and we're still riffing on whatever was making us laugh that day. The guy behind the counter looks balefully at us as yet another joke is made--probably about the food. "Everyone's a comedian!" he said. 
I thought, "Yes! We really are!" It was so exciting for me to be able to own that.  
So, all of this is a long-winded way to say--as you've probably detected--that I really respect humor and the ability to make people laugh. Comedy is a weird profession: at once, it's not well-respected (there's no Academy Award for Best Comedy). However, the ability to make others laugh is one of the most desired attributes that a person can have. To be able to do it professionally is really an accomplishment, and I think that you are eminently capable of doing it, lad. I hope you're as proud of all the work you're putting into it as I am." 

No comments:

Post a Comment