Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Brain sorting

Try this: remove the top of your skull. Using a scooping instrument--an ice cream scoop, large wooden spoon, or garden spade works well--remove a portion of your brain, and splat it on a piece of paper. It will be messy, but do your best to examine it objectively. If it isn't what you want, rearrange, remove, or otherwise modify the parts until it takes the shape you desire.

Yes, you got me: it's a metaphor for writing! Tricky, tricky me. I tell my students that writing the first draft is a process of seeing what you think; putting your brains on the page, and then looking at them to see what you think. This may not be true for everyone, but even if I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to write, it amounts to nothing until I've actually stared down the blank page and started.

As I am fond of saying, "Anything worth doing is worth doing badly," and it is never more true than with writing. If I have what I think is a good idea, I can think about it to an extent, but until I've written it, I don't really know the dimensions of it. I think it's generally a bad idea to talk about what you PLAN to write, because it removes the element of discovery. The story has been told, and nothing has been written.

People can attach all sorts of mystery and misery to writing, of course, and I have done my share of both. Back in the day, I had the now embarrassing and very romantic belief that I just had to write with a fountain pen. That lovely flow of ink onto paper felt like, well, it probably felt like blood; metaphorically, I was pouring my essence onto the page.

Being a newspaper reporter disabused me of this notion. The real trick was not connecting to the paper. It was connecting my butt to the chair, my fingers to the keyboard, and my thoughts to the page. Only then did I REALLY know what those thoughts were.

The mechanism translates the amorphous, non-linear thoughts in one's mind and the inchoate emotions in his heart to the linear and two-dimensional medium of the page or the computer screen remains a mystery to me, and a wonderful one at that. Maybe the physical process of typing, or of writing with a fountain pen, slows thought and feeling enough to grasp hold of them just a little. Once they're on the page, they're different, and I suppose that the process of rewriting is a matter of bringing those two-dimensional representations of thought and feeling into closer harmony, but I don't think it's entirely that.

The funny thing is, when I conceive of a project, and then go through the many revisions until it (hopefully) reaches a point that is satisfying to me and communicates what I want to communicate, it is often quite different from the way I imagined it at first. So, rewriting is in its own way thinking in its own right: an interplay between imagination and reality, in which both are stimulated, and both grow.

And the above is an example of exactly what I'm saying. I really had no idea I thought this until I wrote it down. Hmmmm. Well, for those of you who didn't read the whole thing and understand the metaphor, I suppose it's time to call 911 or fetch the sewing kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment